Friday, April 9, 2010

April

The backyard garden, mint in the foreground, with plenty
 of greens thriving in the background.

This Spring I have had the benefit of developed soil.  I put down lots of organic material over the winter and let nature take it's course.  The beds have really rich dark humus, it's no longer that hard crusty clay that greeted me when I moved in. I also have a nice layer of dead leaves that acts as a mulch keeping in moisture, everything seems to be much doing better than last year.  So at least I've gotten that right so far.  

Learning from my failures last year I planted plenty this year in February and March. Consequently were now enjoying lots of lettuce and mustard greens and other delights that over wintered, like collards, green onions, mints and other herbs.  So far things are looking great.  That is also partly because the trees aren't fully leafed yet. In a week or so the canopy will be complete and shade will occupy the currently sun drenched parts of the garden.  We'll see what grows then.

 

No comments: