Sunday, March 21, 2010

Happy Spring?

The weather was just beginning to turn into something that resembled spring. We've had an unseasonably cold winter for north Texas. Temperatures were often below freezing and we had several accumulations of snow that aren't too common. It was nice to see the buds start forming on my grape vines and notice small bits of green slowly emerging from the barren ground. March 15 is our average last day of frost, and as far as I could see in the forecast things looked rather charming as far as the growing season was concerned.


Yesterday became really cold and rainy. I had already planted my pepper and tomato seedlings, so I covered them with a nice blanket of hay just in case of a frost. This morning instead of a light frost I woke up to about 5 inches of snow in my yard.


The back yard all in white with my hammock in the foreground

I then thought this would be a good time to start my record keeping for the season. I'm really bad about keeping a good journal for gardening, so my blog will have to do. Beginning again while snow coats the ground seems like a good idea. Winter melting away into Spring, and as it turns out the rest of the week is going to be in the 70s so it should be really nice weather soon.


The front yard with all my tomatoes and peppers buried under straw and snow.

My garden should be much more productive this year. The soil has had time to develop, and it's now rather rich in organic matter. The dark rich humus is nice compared to the hard clay that greeted me when we first moved into this place. I just hope I can figure out the light situation. My ongoing battle with the trees that canopy the property has proven to be an interesting situation as far as growing edibles is concerned. I've mad lots of progress though, so hopefully things will be better this year.

I hope.



No comments: