Saturday, October 10, 2009

Fall Garden Update


Broccoli, carrots, romaine Lettuce and three varieties of Onions share the long bed.  

Once the temperatures dropped last month, everything started growing a lot better. I'm not that surprised. Today and yesterday we've had some really cool weather, and these fall crops are loving it.  The Front garden is doing very well, everything is full green and those that are fruiting are still going strong.  Even my peppers are still producing and doing well. We're also having Squash almost every night. I made soup yesterday with it. Nothing beats homemade soup with all raw veggies.  
The yellow squash has consumed a few pepper plants, it seems
 ok because they're staying warm and are still producing.  

I recently planted lots of onions, about 25 garlic cloves, and I have leeks in the backyard that I planted from seeds. So I've gone Allium crazy. The great thing about them is they store really well, and I use them all the time in my cooking. So I don't mind if i have an over abundance of them.  

I also picked up some different shade tolerant varieties of mint that I want to take over a few of the back beds.  There's so little light back there when the trees are full, that it's hard to grow anything useful. My brilliant plan  is to grow those mints and some edible flowers that like the shade. That should solve the problem and make it more colorful too.  We shall see.  

2 comments:

Matron said...

I have a really shady spot in my garden and it is almost impossible to find edibles that grow in shade. The best one I came up with is raspberries!

Unknown said...

I'd like to try raspberries, but I've heard that they don't grow well in my climate. I like to experiment, so maybe I should try it anyway. thanks for the idea.