Saturday, September 5, 2009

Fall Beginings


It's September, which means that temperatures are in the high 80s and still flirt with the low 90s. So in other words its a northern summer. We probably won't get our first frost until mid November. That's what happened last year.

So, I've heard that this is the best season to grow things in this climate. I can understand why. I'm actually excited to get started. I planted nine broccoli seedlings. I am ashamed to say that I did not grow them from seed. My summer garden was almost exclusively from seed. I suppose that's just gardener's hubris.

I've also direct seeded some salad greens and a few root veggies. It will be interesting to see what works and what doesn't

2 comments:

Thomas said...

Hi there. I found you via your comment on Skippy's Vegetable Garden. I'm sure many people in New England, including myself, are very jealous of your weather in Texas. And while your broccoli are flourishing, mine are looking pretty sad. Anyway, good luck with your fall gardening!

Unknown said...

Thanks for visiting Thomas. Don't be too jealous about the climate, it gets so hot in the summer that nothing wants to grow sometimes. :D